Materials Management

Materials Management is responsible for the procurement of services and materials used by the Facilities organization in the operations and maintenance of the University’s physical plant. This is accomplished through sourcing and stocking materials, bidding, auditing and managing vendors to ensure the University is being provided a quality product for the best price. There are three warehouses and procurement locations to help support University Facilities and Services: they are located on River Campus, at the Medical Center, and in Central Utilities.

Materials Management - Frequently Asked Questions

Where should the invoices be sent for a part or service that has been ordered?
Invoices should be sent directly to the Materials Management office for review and approval before they are sent to AP. E-mailing the invoice is the preferred method of sending invoices to Materials Management. There are 3 separate locations to send the invoice:

River Campus402rc@facilities.rochester.eduUniversity of Rochester
Materials Management
612 Wilson Blvd., Box 270485
Rochester, NY 14627
Med Center402mc@facilities.rochester.eduUniversity of Rochester
Materials Management
Elmwood Ave.
Rm G4912, Box 623
Rochester, NY 14642
Central University of Rochester
Materials Management
390 Elmwood Ave., Box 278916
Rochester, NY 14627

Why do I sometimes get a purchase order number that has an “I” at the end, sometimes it has a release number with it and sometimes it doesn/’t? What is the difference between these?
There are 3 types of purchase orders that are created from purchase requisitions.
1) The first type is called an “I” PO. This is 6 digits followed by a –I. These must be under $1,000 and can be for material or for a repair being done off site. It cannot be for service done on-site or for any order over $1,000.
2) The second type is called a Standing PO and it has the release number with it. These are vendors that have been set up with a purchase order through University Purchasing. Each purchase requisition generated is turned into a release number against this standing purchase order. Many times there are established labor and material markup rates for PO’s. Standing purchase orders are for vendors that are used frequently.
3) The last type is where the purchase order number must be created by University Purchasing. These are requisitions that do not fit into either of the first two types. The PO# may start with a U or a UK but do not have the release number. Since these have to go to University Purchasing it can take a few days to get the PO#.

How can I find out if an item is stocked in one of our stockrooms?
There are two ways. The first is to search through our on-line Parts Catalogue The second is to search through Famis on the Parts screen.

How do I add a new part to the stockroom?
Fill out the Parts Update Form and drop off at the stockroom.

How do I get a MSDS sheet for a stock part?
MSDS sheets for all stock parts are in Famis on the parts screen as an attachment and are also in the on-line Parts Catalogue.

I want to order from a new vendor. How do I do this?
Every vendor must be approved by University Purchasing before placing an order. The vendor must sign off on the University Terms and Conditions and meet Insurance requirements. The web site to direct the new vendor to is

I have a requisition that I have submitted that has to go to Purchasing for the PO# and I need the PO# immediately. Is there a way to rush this?
Yes there is. Fill out the Purchasing Rush Form and submit with your paperwork and we will get it to Purchasing.

How do you determine which vendors should be used for a specific commodity or type of service?
Through the bid process which identifies the most competive Time and Material rates for various commodities such as electrical service, mechanical service, etc. on a regular basis. Check the Bid Schedule for upcoming bids. Also check the Preferred Vendor List for currently suggested vendors to use.

Gas Pump Q&A

Who is eligible to get gas at these pumps?
Any University department that has a University owned or leased vehicle can get gas. Personal vehicles used on University business cannot get gas here.

How does it work?
Each vehicle is given a gas chip, about the size of a half dollar which is either attached to the vehicle or to a plastic hang tag. Each time you come to get gas you must scan the chip which authorizes the pump to dispense fuel. Each vehicle can be set up to require the mileage reading or hour meter reading be entered each time so you can track your miles per gallon.

How do I get one of those chips?
The department must fill out the New Vehicle Info Sheet with all relevant information, including an account number to charge and submit to Materials Management. An ID# will be assigned to the vehicle.

When is the billing done?
On or before the 28th of each month all fueling transactions for that month are downloaded. A summary sheet is sent to each department with a listing of all gas transactions for that month.

Fuel Tips

Drive Sensibly
Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes gas. It can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent at highway speeds and by 5 percent around town. Sensible driving is also safer for you and others, so you may save more than gas money.

Observe the Speed Limit
While each vehicle reaches its optimal fuel economy at a different speed (or range of speeds), gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 50 mph. You can assume that each 5 mph you drive over 50 mph is like paying an additional $0.27 per gallon for gas.

Remove Excess Weight
Avoid keeping unnecessary items in your vehicle, especially heavy ones. An extra 100 pounds in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by up to 2 percent. The reduction is based on the percentage of extra weight relative to the vehicle's weight and affects smaller vehicles more than larger ones.

Avoid Excessive Idling
Idling can use a quarter to a half gallon of fuel per hour, depending on engine size and air conditioner (AC) use. Turn off your engine when your vehicle is parked. It only takes a few seconds worth of fuel to restart your vehicle. Turning your engine on and off excessively, however, may increase starter wear.

Keep Your Engine Properly Tuned
Fixing a car that is noticeably out of tune or has failed an emissions test can improve its gas mileage by an average of 4 percent, though results vary based on the kind of repair and how well it is done. Fixing a serious maintenance problem, such as a faulty oxygen sensor, can improve your mileage by as much as 40 percent.

Keep Tires Properly Inflated
You can improve your gas mileage by up to 3.3 percent by keeping your tires inflated to the proper pressure. Under-inflated tires can lower gas mileage by 0.3 percent for every 1 psi drop in pressure of all four tires. Properly inflated tires are safer and last longer.
The proper tire pressure for your vehicle is usually found on a sticker in the driver's side door jamb or the glove box and in your owner's manual. Do not use the maximum pressure printed on the tire's sidewall.

From the US Department of Energy web site

Contact Us

Karen Koenig
Kathy Szweda
Latoya Bollar
All Campus275-9774
Tricia Beckwith
Procurement Specialist
Colleen Williams
Purchasing Sourcer
Chris Draggett
Purchasing Sourcer
Laurie Stone
Purchasing Sourcer
Dan Colosi
Procurement Specialist
Steven Crews
Procurement Specialist
Jeff Coley
Stock Work Leader
Wayne Montgomery
Stock Keeper
Axel Colon
Stock Keeper
Jim Sweet
Stock Keeper
Chris Murray
Stock Keeper