Energy Services & Sustainability
The Energy Finance Group is key to the success of our department. This group is responsible for all accounting services within Energy Services and Sustainability as well as oversite of all utilities for all of the University.
Financial oversight and administration of all utility related issues for all UR properties, including River Campus, the UR Medical Center, Eastman School of Music, Memorial Art Gallery, Highland Hospital, Strong West Hospital, Thompson Hospital and hundreds of other UR owned locations.
- Develop fiscal utility budgets for 25 divisions across the entire university.
- Administer utility financial services for 275 off-site university properties.
Full accounting services for all aspects of plant operations and maintenance within Energy Services and Sustainability. This includes financial planning, budgeting, financial forecasting, review of utility and contractor contracts, hedging of purchased utility energy, etc.
Accounting, budgeting and forecasting for the following:
- $26 million annual for Energy Services and Sustainability plant operations which includes plant operations and maintenance, debt service capital funding and 62 full time staff members.
- $32 million annual for 45 active capital projects
- $17 million annual for procurement of 225 million kWh of electricity from the New York State Power Grid (NYISO) and RGE
- $9 million annual hedging for natural gas from the NYMEX market totaling about 2.6 million dekatherms.
Energy Services and Sustainability purchases all energy and water from external utilities for both on campus and off campus properties. This allows UR to purchase energy at a lower rate than if each building purchased their utilities individually. The other advantage is that all of the financial and energy usage information is collected in one place for improved reporting and analysis. We manage about 440 electrical, 300 natural gas and 175 water external utility accounts on behalf of our internal customers.