History of the Campuses and Buildings of the University of Rochester
United States Hotel Prince Street Campus Eastman School of Music Medical Center River Campus Mid-Campus South Campus Mt. Hope Campus Graduate, Family and Veteran Housing Central Utilities Other Off-Site Buildings
Mt. Hope Campus 668 Mt. Hope


Ellwanger & Barry Nursery Office, from the Library of Congress

The Ellwanger & Barry Nursery built an office building in Gothic Revival villa style at 668 Mt. Hope in 1854.  The building and ten adjacent acres was sold to the University in 1963 for $50,000.  The property is adjacent to the former Patrick Barry mansion at 692 Mt. Hope and eight acres that were given to the University by the Barry family the prior May.

Several university departments have occupied the building, which now houses the University of Rochester Press


References
1963 Deed from Ellwanger & Barry Realty Company to the University of Rochester, August 21, 1963, $50,000, ten acres, book 3501, page 326

1963 "Old building Sold to UR as Landmark," Democrat and Chronicle, August 22, 1963, Page 35.


2022 Morris A. Pierce