|History of the Campuses and Buildings of the University of Rochester|
|United States Hotel||Prince Street Campus||Eastman School of Music||Medical Center||River Campus||Mid-Campus||South Campus||Mt. Hope Campus||Graduate, Family and Veteran Housing||Central Utilities||Other Off-Site Buildings|
|Medical Center||W Wing (4300)
|Roof of W Wing in December 1961|
W Wing is a six-story $700,000 structure tucked in between F and L wings on Strong's east side which opened in early 1954. The wing was built with approximately $500,000 from the Rochester Hospital Fund, and $210,000 from the federal government, which was allocated under the Hill-Burton aid-to-hospitals act. The wing is almost hidden from view
The first floor featured a modern, colorfully-decorated out-patient department for children with five times more space then formerly available for pediatric services. The City Health Bureau laboratories and bacteriology units will occupy the second floor, with other floors devoted to central supply and housekeeping. The Medical Center's senior leadership now occupies offices on the first floor.
1953 "Construction Boom in Monroe Hits Record Pace; Public Projects Alone Total 90 Million for Year," Democrat and Chronicle, January 7,1953, Page 17.
Strong Memorial Hospital - By early Fall, a new five-story wing costing $650,000 is expected to be completed. Financed by the Rochester Hospital Fund, the wing will provide expansion of overcrowded services at the hospital such as the out-patient department and laboratories.
Hospital Fund $$$ Keep Building!" Democrat and Chronicle,
January 31,1954, Page 29.
At Strong Memorial Hospital, Wing W, a six-story $700,000 structure tucked in between other wings on Strong's east side, has been finished and its up-to-date facilities are gradually being commissioned into use.
Wing W was built with approximately $500,000 from the Rochester Hospital Fund, and $210,000 from the federal government, which was allocated under the Hill-Burton aid-to-hospitals act.
Adjacent to Municipal Hospital, Wing W is almost hidden from view to passersby in Elmwood Avenue and Crittenden Boulevard. On the first floor, it features a modern, colorfully-decorated out-patient department for children, making five times as much space as was formerly available for pediatric services. City Health Bureau laboratories and bacteriology units will occupy the second floor, with other floors devoted to central supply and housekeeping.
each his farthest star: The University of Rochester Medical
Center -1925-1975, edited by Edward C. Atwater and John
Page 250: After a lull of almost twenty years following the completion of the original Medical Center, there has been a steady flow of construction. Many of these additions such as Q Wing, Wing R, W Wing, the Atomic Energy Project, and the building for ambulatory care and rehabilitation (U Wing) have been documented in previous historical reports.
© 2021 Morris A. Pierce